b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hametz - why the restricted meaning?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hametz - why the restricted meaning?
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 14:12:35 -0500

Vadim:

The word XMC comes form a root with the meaning of
"soured", used as a verb not only for food, but
also refers to a person's soured outlook in life.

For bread, it refers to the sourdough way of making
bread. From the same root we have XMWC soured, XMYC
fodder that has fermented while stored in a silo,
XMC leavened (bread) also vinegar.

If I remember correctly, nothing with yeast was
acceptable for temple worship. I'll have to double
check, but I think that is the case.

The general word for "bread" is LXM from the root
referring to feeding.

Karl W. Randolph.