b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 25:11 imperative & waw

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 25:11 imperative & waw
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:04:56 -0500

Steve and Herman:

What I have said is that each lexical term has a
range of meaning, not just a single point. For
some terms, that range is large, for others their
range of meaning is rather small.

For both the Hebrew "W" and the English "that",
each has a range of meaning of which only a
small corner of each intersects, and then only
for a specific use of both. For both terms, they
intersect at the meaning "as a consequence",
"that would lead us to" or along that line. A
simple "and" does not carry that inflection,
but sometimes the "W" prefix does. Similarly
"that" sometimes carries that meaning.

I agree that for most uses of "that" that a "W"
prefix is not indicated, similarly for most uses
of "W" prefix "that" is the wrong translation,
but for a small portion of uses, ....

This is one of the things that I find so
interesting about lexicography, namely how
different languages treat what seem like
similar terms differently. It gives an insight
into the thinking processes behind the uses
of language.

Karl W. Randolph.