b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Steve Miller <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:50:37 +0100

On 17/04/2006 18:30, Steve Miller wrote:

[Steve Miller] None of these are _facts_ that mankind is > 6K years old. All
the radioactive dating methods assume a constant rate of radiation into the
earth's atmosphere, which is a false and unreasonable assumption. I know enough to tell that such things are not scientific or logical. ...

It may be an assumption if extrapolated over thousands of years, but it is a reasonable assumption which has not been shown to be false. Radiocarbon dating has been applied to and calibrated from objects of known historical age, as well as through tree ring data. I doubt if many historical dates before about 500 BC are known well enough to be useful for calibration, but if something can be shown to have been true consistently for the last 2500 years, it is a reasonable if unproven assumption that it has been true for at least 6000 years.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)