b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 55:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Albert & Julia Haig <albert_and_julia AT yahoo.com.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 55:5
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:54:12 +0100

On 05/04/2006 12:19, Albert & Julia Haig wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3438052199. But there is very little
here about accents, only a card with their names.

Not true. In my copy of BHS, the word is clearly marked with a silluq under the letter resh, and hence is pausal, as other posters have noted.
Yes, the text is fully marked with accents, as in most printed Hebrew Bibles. But there is very little explanation of the accents. And that was what Herman seemed to be promising to Steve when he wrote:
This "accentology" (my word) is quite a league of its own. If you'd like to
know more about it, maybe you have the BHS? The introduction will mention something,
such as their names to begin with.
In fact there is almost nothing about accents in the Foreword to BHS, and the only list of names is on the separate card.

Having a copy of BHS is absolutely essential for OT Hebrew exegesis. ...

Why do you consider BHS rather than any other good edition essential? Is it the apparatus, full of conjectural emendations? Is it the Masora? Is it the small textual differences from editions based on the Rabbinic Bible? In what other ways is BHS different from other editions?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)