b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:50:32 +0000

On 03/02/2006 00:05, Karl Randolph wrote:

What I have asked for is evidence from when everyone can agree that Biblical Hebrew was spoken as a native tongue, namely from before the Babylonian Exile. All I have been given is theory, which I question, and data from much later periods.

You are asking for the impossible. How can there be direct evidence of such ancient pronunciations? But whenever anyone presents any indirect evidence, you dismiss it as "theory".
The evidence for Biblical Hebrew having had a CV structure is again theory, in this case my own based on reading Tanakh a few times through in unpointed Hebrew. ...

Well, at least you admit that it is your theory, your word, against that of centuries of Hebrew scholars worldwide. This doesn't mean that you are wrong, but it does mean that if you want to convince others you need to present a really strong case, and not just your own subjective feelings.

Oh for access to a native speaker from whom we could learn how Biblical Hebrew was actually spoken. It may have been different from what all of us think.

Indeed.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)