b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 12:11 - 12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 12:11 - 12
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:21:16 +0000

There is also a link with PSX to a feast, here is the NET notes on the word.
But I would also take it as to limp by, pass by, spare as does HALOT. p 947...

28 tn The meaning of js^P# (pesah) is debated. (1) Some have tried to connect
it to the Hebrew verb with the same radicals that means "to halt, leap, limp,
stumble." See 1 Kgs 18:21 where the word describes the priests of Baal
cavorting around the altar; also the crippled child in 2 Sam 4:4. (2) Others
connect it to the Akkadian passahu, which means "to appease, make soft,
placate"; or (3) an Egyptian word to commemorate the harvest (see Segal, The
Passover, 95-100). The verb occurs in Isa 31:5 with the connotation of "to
protect"; Childs suggests that this was already influenced by the exodus
tradition (B. S. Childs, Exodus, 183, n. 11). Whatever links there may or may
not have been that show an etymology, in this passage it is describing
Yahweh's passing over or through.

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net