b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 1 Sam 1 and 2 -about Samuel or about Saul?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam 1 and 2 -about Samuel or about Saul?
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:41:39 +0100

I remember having read that chapters 1 and 2 of 1 Samuel were originally about Saul and later changed to Samuel. The reasons were two:

First:
1 Sam 1:20: "and in due time Hannah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Samuel, for she said, "I have asked him of the LORD."
1 Sam 1: 28: "Therefore I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he lives, he is lent to the LORD."
They said "Saul" means "asked (of God)" or "lent (to God)" and so it fits well with these verses, while "Samuel" ("name of God") doesn't.

Second:
Hannah's song at 1 Samuel chapter 2 is a monarchist song, while Samuel wasn't a king. (However, I've read that other critics consider this song as a very later addition).

How can believers of the divine inspiration of the Bible deal with these ideas? I guess the answer for the second point is a question of exegesis and so out of place in this forum, but the first point has to do with the language itsef.

Cheers!
Sergio