b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] music in Hebrew [was Re: Long: *Some* Bib for Bryan]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rochelle Altman <willaa AT netvision.net.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] music in Hebrew [was Re: Long: *Some* Bib for Bryan]
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 22:38:01 +0200

At 07:03 PM 1/14/2006, Peter Kirk wrote:

On 14/01/2006 07:46, Rochelle Altman wrote:

If we are adding a final vowel (CV), then we must add a vowel after each consonant. We are using ADONAI because that's the only pronunciation we have. We have the psalm formula for the 96th; we also have the bilingual to check one against the other. Note that the addition of final vowels changes the meter.

MT:
shiru l'Adonai shir hadash
shiru l'Adonai kol ha-aretz.

Final vowels added to all C:
shiru le Adonai shira hadasha
shiru le Adonai kola ha-artza

Surely we would have to add a vowel also to the end of Adonai, for this should really be written Adonay as in Hebrew it ends with a full consonantal yod. But I'm not sure about adding a vowel to the l- prefix, because the alef in l'Adonay is silent in the Masoretic pointing and could already have been silent at the earlier time we are considering, as it surely always was in ro'sh.

Hi, Peter,

That's the point; if it is postulated that CVC did not occur until post-exilic times, then we have to add the vowel to "l-" ... It's why I included the "l-" Technically, on the same grounds I should have included a vowel for "b" in the 29th.

Weak final vowels had been reduced or lost before the Monarchial period. It is true that the really old songs have more final assonance "rhymes," but they have plenty of final close syllables. The songs supply the evidence of early vowel loss for Hebrew that we have from inscriptions for Aramaic.

The examplesfrom the 96th and 29th are not written in M-C; they are written as pronounced. ADONAI is how it's pronounced. The MT just has yhvh with pointing for adonai. And, of course, some sederim have just yy with pointing for adonai.

I'll be off-line for several days; I'll be happy to respond to any questions when I return from Greece.

Have a goof week,

Rochelle Altman

--
Peter Kirk