b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar, (was Zech 6:8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar, (was Zech 6:8)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:38:01 +1000

Hi Rolf,

I appreciate the discussion as it helps my own thinking. I, too, think
undergrad study is too "busy" to allow time for thinking. Simply too
much "assessment". In recent years, at least at the institution I teach at, it has gotten even worse. I'm glad I passed through when I did.

A few things below.

Dear David,
I shall not start a discussion of Hebrew verbs, just answer your questions
and give a few comments.

It is fine that scholars have different viewpoints, because that drives
science forwards. Unfortunately, the differences in views often are not so
great as to cause such a drive. A retired professor of Geophysics was
recently interviewed in our campus newspaper. His observation after a long
academic career was that students on lower levels have to work so hard with
their curriculums that they have no time for independent thinking, and
doctoral projects generally concentrate on establishing the different sides
of the present paradigm or model. Students with radical ideas that questions
the accepted model usually are not allowed to start any doctoral research. I
think this picture generally is true, not only in Norway.