b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tel Zayit Abecedary

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tel Zayit Abecedary
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:50:31 -0000

Maybe it was for the nephilim?;-)
-----Original Message-----
From: b-hebrew-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org on behalf of Dave Washburn
Sent: Wed 11/9/2005 4:53 PM
To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

On Wednesday 09 November 2005 05:15, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
> The New York times relates on a Tel Zayit inscription recently found.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/09/international/middleeast/09alphabet.html

I found this paragraph curious:

--
The two lines of incised letters, apparently the 22 symbols of the Hebrew
alphabet, were on one face of the 40-pound stone. A bowl-shaped hollow was

Putting aside for a moment the notion about the power of the alphabet, I have
to ask: a 40 pound drinking vessel?

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur