b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tel Zayit Abecedary

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tel Zayit Abecedary
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:11:32 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

The info on the Ugaritic alphabet comes from P T Daniel's "Scripts of
Semitic Languages" in R Hetzron's "The Semitic Languages". I have read
parts of the book 2 or 3 times but never thought to read this chapter before
until this dispute over the Hebrew alphabet came up. I also received a
relatively new book yesterday: Henry Rogers' "Writing Systems: A Linguistic
Approach" (2005) which looks like it will be a good book to read. It has a
lot of theory on how writing systems work.

Kevin Riley