b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 01:51:45 -0600

On Saturday 29 October 2005 19:43, Karl Randolph wrote:
> [...]

Excuse me, but who told you that midwest is considered the "best"? And my
dad
was from the midwest and he pronounced it with the "i" sound. I'm from
California but have lived in Montana, Indiana, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona and
now Idaho, and I have never heard the plural pronounced as you describe it in
any of those places. I have known people from Ohio, Illinois, Michigan,
Kentucky, Washington, Pennsylvania, Florida, Texas, and who knows where else.

As far as I know, you are the ONLY person who has ever suggested the above
pronunciation. I even saw a Dennis the Menace comic once in which it was
phonetically spelled "wimmin." Only the singular, "woman," has the "u"
vowel. By your description, there would be no auditory difference between
the singular and the plural, which is something I have never heard in all my
travels (I have spent time in all but 4 of our 50 states). So either you're
talking about the singular, or you really talk funny ;-)

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur