b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yom in Biblical and Rabbinic Texts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yom in Biblical and Rabbinic Texts
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:34:36 +0100

On 26/10/2005 15:57, Bryant J. Williams III wrote:

Dear Peter, Yigal, et al,

True, but understanding the word "day" in a non-literal sense also does
not work - and is arguably already "adding elements that are not in the
text" and "midrash, but certainly not a literal understanding of the
text". There is no easy answer.

Bryant:

The problem as I see it, (sorry, basketball official jargon, :))) ), YOM
causes
us to want to eisegete our interpretation into the text to correspond with
what
our view of regarding the universe and creation-evolution. The word used with
numbers to indicate a 24-hr period = evening and morning is quite clear. BUT
we
are not at liberty to translate via application. The straight dope is to
render
it as day. In other word, at this point is confusing application with
interpretation = eisegesis. Beyond that is flat out wrong. The context is
quite
clear about that.

Thank you for the clarification. As a translator, I agree that YOM should be translated "day" in Genesis 1, although probably not in 2:4. If I were to interpret this for a congregation etc, I would need to go into what Yigal calls midrash, but that is the nature of preaching and teaching.

For a similar reason Revelation is one of the easiest books in the Bible to translate - because all of the complex imagery has to be translated literally, and the interpretation can be left to others.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)