b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yom in Biblical and Rabbinic Texts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yom in Biblical and Rabbinic Texts
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 07:03:14 -0500

Dear Peter and Jimmy,

On 24/10/2005 02:13, Jimmy Doyle wrote:

I'm in a discussion with a creationist who believes in 6 literal 24-hour
days of creation. Can anyone point me to good resources for the use of yom
in the Biblical texts and Rabbnic texts? From what I gather in BDB, the
singular use of yom in the Biblical text generally refers to a single day,
but I feel as if I'm missing something here.

I think so. The "day" of Numbers 3:1 and Deuteronomy 4:15 seems to have
lasted 40 days, that of Ezekiel 39:13 seven months, that of 1 Samuel 7:2
for 20 years, and that of Judges 18:30 for about 70 years - and that of
Genesis 2:4 six "days".

HH: The word day, "YWM," when used with a prefixed preposition "in" often has the idea of "when" (Gen 2:4). It word can sometimes mean "time" (Judges 18:30) but does not have a numerical modifier in those cases. In 1 Samuel 7:2 YWM could still indicate a particular day (the day the ark began to abide in Kiriath-Jearim), although "time" could be the sense. The word refers to literal days when it has a numerical modifier.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard