b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Human Sacrifice - 2 Sam 21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Human Sacrifice - 2 Sam 21
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:49:36 -0500

Peter:

Actually, I was answering Jack, as he has grabbed onto
the idea that XRM has something to deal with destruction
and like a dog with a bone in his mouth, won't let it go.

Going back to my metaphor of a cook adding spices
to recipes, so I ask what flavor does XRM add to its
contexts? True, it often is used in context of sacrifice,
but is it a spice like salt that is mixed throughout, or like
parsley that is sprinkled on top?

When looking at its uses in sacrifices, I noticed that it
refers to the animals before they are brought to the altar.
In fact, when the animal is still in the flock. But it is marked,
forbidden to be exchanged, destined for the altar no
matter what. While still in the flock, it is no longer owned
by the shepherd. The flavor added by XRM is not
destruction, but that it is untouchable, marked as separate.

That is further evidenced in that objects and people who
are not to be destroyed are XRM, such as the valuables
from Jericho that we untouchable, destined for the temple
treasury and the deformed in the priestly clan who were
not to serve at the altar, but still reckoned as one of the
priests and still received some of the priestly perks.

So in looking at what flavor XRM adds to the recipes
wherein it is found, the thing that seems constant is that
it refers to a mark, either physical or metaphorical, that
marks the person or object as untouchable in some way:
the animal destined for the altar that can't be exchanged,
the priest forbidden from serving at the altar, the city
where the citizens are so wicked that no one is to be left
alive, the objects specified for the temple, the convicted
murderer to be executed, all of these are XRM. That which
is consistent is that they are all marked.

While Jack seems to define the term from the flavor it
soaks up from the sauce, I look at what flavor the term
adds to the sauce.

Karl W. Randolph.