b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Amos 6:3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Amos 6:3
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:30:43 -0400

Hi Yigal,

hamnaddiym is Piel. The dagesh which customarily appears with the definite article customarily drops out of the mem of a Piel participle. It is similar, I believe, to the way the dagesh disappears from the prefixed pronoun of wayyiqtol verbs in Piel (i.e. wayqittel). The idea is that the one word can only bear the strengthening of one consonant, and the thematic strengthening of Piel wins.

Shalom,
Bryan

Yigal Levin wrote:
Dear all,

Assuming that the initial letter he in the first word of this verse is the
definite article, can anyone tell me why there is no dagesh in the mem that
follows it?

Thank you,

Yigal

--