b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Human Sacrifice - 2 Sam 21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Human Sacrifice - 2 Sam 21
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:43:45 -0500

Jack:

Not all uses of XRM in Hebrew deal with destruction. Not
even always referring to that which is to be destroyed. For
example, the gold, silver and bronze from Jericho were
XRM in Joshua 6, to be brought to the temple treasury, not
destroyed. Further the deformed individual of the priestly
line was XRM, not allowed to serve in public worship, but
he was not to be killed. Instead he still was to receive
many priesthood perks. In both of these uses there is a
sense of forbidding, not necessarily destruction.

Karl W. Randolph.