b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Exodus 32

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Exodus 32
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:12:28 -0500

I have two questions from Exodus 32.

The first one concerns the term MSKH in verses 4, 8 and
other references to the "calf". Usually that is reckoned
to stem from the root NSK with this as a cast statue of a
bull. But I noticed that grammatically it can be derived
from SKK as in overlaying, meaning that the gold was
just an overlay over another material, in this case very
likely wood. I find that idea strengthened in verse 18 in
that Moses had the statue burned; gold does not burn,
just melts, then Moses ground and mixed the gold
flecked ashes in water. Again gold, even gold dust,
does not mix with water well, but ashes...?

It is my understanding that many large idols in ANE
were made of wood covered with gold or other
materials, so why not this one too? I don't see any
grammatical argument against this understanding.

The second comes from verse 17 where it mentions
that Joshua heard )T QWL H(M BR(H. From the context,
should not BR(H be from the root RWH with the idea of
sounding forth, as in shouting, trumpet blasts and song?

Any thoughts?

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

  • [b-hebrew] Exodus 32, Karl Randolph, 09/28/2005