b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tenses - Deut1:44

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tenses - Deut1:44
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:17:51 +0100

Vadim,

although I have already shown you that assigning a primary grammatical tense
to a form
is incorrect, if a primary meaning were to be attached to 'would' it would
most certainly
not be future. By far the most common use of 'would' is the conditional,which
you may argue
is a hypothetical future but then you are missing the point of its basic
substance.

I would give you the money if I had it. (present)
I would like to go. (present polite) as opposed to 'I want to go'
I would have been here earlier if ...(present tense perfect aspect)

When used with past sense the sense is of a repeated action and cannot fit in
the contexts
of the verses you are (mis)translating.

When my mother used to dress me I would fidget all the time. (habitual past)

In the negative it indicates a refusal

I asked him to do it but he wouldn't (past refusal)

Tenses are not grammaticalised. We are brainwashed to consider verb systems
in terms of
tenses and this causes us to impose false ideas on forms. Context and word
combinations
determine the tense and not only the form itself (although it possible to see
that a
form exhibits such in a maority of cases).

Consider English 'present'

I was walking down the street and he says to me... (past tense perfect sense)
I always go early. (past and future tense)
He works like a horse
Okay here's the plan. I go into the shop and you wait on the corner. Mark
gets the car ready... (future tense)