b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tenses - Deut1:44

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Stoney Breyer" <stoneyb AT touchwood.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tenses - Deut1:44
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:06:49 +0300

You appear to be under the impression that "I (you, he, etc) will X" is
"the future tense" of the English verb X.

No. I specifically mentioned that both English and Hebrew use grammatical future tense in idiomatic form. That form originally arosed from the future tense, but later idiomatic forms became semantically different from future time reference. Neither in English, nor in Hebrew that development invalidates existence of tenses in general.

Vadim Cherny