b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Chronology & time of the exodus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Chronology & time of the exodus
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:49:54 +0100

Ezekiel 4:1-7

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Kirk [mailto:peterkirk AT qaya.org]
Sent: Mon 9/19/2005 12:38 AM
To: Read, James C
Cc: yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com; b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

On 18/09/2005 12:54, Read, James C wrote:

>Dear Yitzhak,
>
>In order to build a chronology we need a reference point which is well
>established. Let's use the
>return from exile, which took place in 537. The desolation took place 70
>years earlier and that
>takes us back to 607. Ezekiel tells us (in prophetic language) that the
>division of the kingdoms of
>Isreal and Judah took place 390 years earlier. ...

What is your evidence for this 390 years? I ask from genuine interest.

>... This brings us to 997. Solomon reigned 40 years and
>begun temple construction in his 3rd year. So the temple began to be built
>in 1034. 1Ki6:1 tells us that
>the temple began to be built in the 480th year after the exodus. This takes
>us to 1513. 430 years earlier
>Yah struck a deal with Abraham, 1943. Adding up the generations back to the
>flood we get 427 years
>and this places the flood at 2370. Then you just add up the generations
>again and this takes you back
>to our great, great, great, great ...grandad Adam who was born in 4026,
>approx 6 thousand years ago.
>
>Of course, I would welcome you criticisms as it would help me to gain a
>better understanding of
>this chronology.

I would recommend that you look at the chronological work of E. Thiele,
e.g. in "The Mysterious Numbers of the Hebrew Kings".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)

Security System.

Security System.
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:50:52 +0100
From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
To: <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Raamses

Am I to understand that you are a jew that does not believe in the
exodus? Yet give such honour to Redford? This really is remarkable!

That would be like meeting a Christian that does not believe in
salvation yet gives full credence to the Da Vinci Code book.

Anyway, I didn't Raamses in the 10th century and your misunderstanding
on this is based on a (bad) interpretation of what I wrote. I was saying
that both a date of tenth century for the exodus and the concurrent pharoah
being RaamsesII were demonstrably false. That you tie the two together
is your own perogative but not what I intended you to understand.

Security System.
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:57:48 +0100
From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
To: <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Okay! Let me see if I understand your system. First you accuse people of not
being familiar with the arguments. Then when you see that they are and they
have a strong position against your opinion which has a bearing on the
central
linguistic point you resort to accusing posters of discussing material unfit
for the list.
So basically,in order to have a discussion with you about anything linguistic
we have to accept your priori non-linguistic assumptions (which are usually
baseless)
and desist from proving them incorrect lest we discuss something
non-linguistic
even though it has a direct bearing on the original discussion. Yet by the
same
token you case most of your cases on non-linguistic 'evidence' and insist
that
it should be of higher value because it is extra-biblical on the premise that
extra-biblical sources are more honest and reliable (a dubious assumption at
best).