b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Inflection & Tense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <tladatsi AT charter.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Inflection & Tense
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:01:18 +0300

> There is a national language institute in the Philippines
> as well as language departments in the many fine
> Universities there where native speaking scholar study
> Tagalog and other Austronesian languages. The geographic
> ranges of these languages stretch from Madagascar to Taiwan
> to Easter Island and many have long histories of written
> literature with a variety of alphabets and syllabaries
> (Roman, Arabic, Indian, and indignous). You may rest
> assured that the characterization of verb inflection for
> aspect and not tense is not some artificially imposed
> construct from ignorant outsiders but very much how the
> native scholars view the issue.

I can't argue about Tagalog, of course. Never even heard about it before.
But I really, really wonder if it is possible to establish a subtle
difference of meaning between imperfect and future tense based on
commentaries of the natives. Could there be a similar bias as in Hebrew,
where scholars did not recognize deictic center shifts and took future for
imperfect?

Vadim Cherny