b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Phinehas & Peleg - pe > phi

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Phinehas & Peleg - pe > phi
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:46:44 -0500

Marjorie:

I noticed the same pattern in the New Testament with
transliterated Hebrew names.

But then I noticed something else. In the Byzantine
tradition of MMS there was a slight difference between
Galilean and Judaean names: some of the Galilean
names had tau or pi where Judaean names had theta or
phi. To me it looks as if a dialectal difference. (Was this the
origin of Peter's Galilean accent?) For example, Nazareth
was consistently spelled Nazaret in the Byzantine
tradition.

I think the practice of spirantizing some hard consonants
started in the south (Egypt) and gradually moved north, so
Galilee was still not fully transformed at the time the New
Testament was written. But the LXX, coming from the
south, used spirants.

Karl W. Randolph.