b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Inflection & Tense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, tladatsi AT charter.net
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verb Inflection & Tense
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:28:35 +0100

On 18/09/2005 06:58, Vadim Cherny wrote:

Jack,

You well may be right, I don't have a clue about Tagalog.
It could be, however, that the same bias affected its study, as was for
Hebrew.
I guess, Polynesians don't have a large body of written literature, and are
generally moderately educated (a guess, not an assertion), and cannot very
well relay to scholars and translators subtle semantical differences, such
as between tenses and the completion aspects. ...

This guess is a racist slur. Please retract it.

... Myself, I don't see major difference between completed aspect ('having
studied') and the past tense. I cannot imagine how scholars could establish
that Polynesians mean aspect, not tense in this case. ...

Perhaps you can imagine how scholars can establish that the Russian perfective future is perfective or "completed" aspect but not past tense. If Russians are able to make such a distinction, so are Tagalog speakers.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)