b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Chronology & time of the exodus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Chronology & time of the exodus
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:38:54 +0100

On 18/09/2005 12:54, Read, James C wrote:

Dear Yitzhak,

In order to build a chronology we need a reference point which is well established. Let's use the return from exile, which took place in 537. The desolation took place 70 years earlier and that takes us back to 607. Ezekiel tells us (in prophetic language) that the division of the kingdoms of Isreal and Judah took place 390 years earlier. ...

What is your evidence for this 390 years? I ask from genuine interest.

... This brings us to 997. Solomon reigned 40 years and begun temple construction in his 3rd year. So the temple began to be built in 1034. 1Ki6:1 tells us that the temple began to be built in the 480th year after the exodus. This takes us to 1513. 430 years earlier Yah struck a deal with Abraham, 1943. Adding up the generations back to the flood we get 427 years and this places the flood at 2370. Then you just add up the generations again and this takes you back to our great, great, great, great ...grandad Adam who was born in 4026, approx 6 thousand years ago.

Of course, I would welcome you criticisms as it would help me to gain a better understanding of this chronology.

I would recommend that you look at the chronological work of E. Thiele, e.g. in "The Mysterious Numbers of the Hebrew Kings".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)