b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ambiguities, doubling meanings and puns

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ambiguities, doubling meanings and puns
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:37:31 -0500

Dear Bill,

P.S. Thanks to Harold Holmyard for your helpful comments. I'll check
what those three authors say about Gen 30:3 and if there's anything
useful I'll post tomorrow. I thought you owned a copy of Alter's
translation and commentary so you should be able to see what he
thinks, if anything, before then.

HH: Yes, I do, but I had forgotten. My sister gave it to me, and I don't use it much. Good memory on your part. Thanks. Yes, Alter thinks it's a pun at Gen 30:3 too. I think it's fanciful.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard