b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ambiguities, doubling meanings and puns

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ambiguities, doubling meanings and puns
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:42:00 -0500

Bill:

In answering your question, I feel almost as
if I were responding to a straw man. You
seem to want to understand it in a way that
I have specifically written as a fallacious
understanding.

First, I thank Harold Holmyard and Peter
Kirk for their answers.

Secondly, the example below is not at all
ambiguous, when taken in its linguistic and
cultural milieu. Apparently, if what I read
is correct, this is a reference to what we
today call "surrogate motherhood" for women
who were barren. Further, the Hebrew verb
BNH was used in contexts where we would use
different terms, but its broad use does not
negate that it has one basic meaning, which
no English word equals (a simple gloss in a
dictionary does not do the meaning justice).

To drag this message out would be to repeat
myself, which would be a drag on Peter and
others, and a drag for me to write.

Karl W. Randolph.