b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 33 & 34 - Glory & Face

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 33 & 34 - Glory & Face
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:28:46 -0500

Kevin:

One of the aspects of Hellenism is an
insistence that all fit into nice little
categories, fully understandable and
understood. But that is not the Biblical
pattern.

Now I'm not a theologian, just a linguist
and not the world's greatest of even that,
so I am quite willing to say that there are
passages that raise questions that I am
unable to answer.

We know, however, that the ancient Hebrew
way of thinking as recorded in Tanakh
emphasized action over form whereas
Hellenism (and Greek philosophy before it)
emphasized form over function; and history
over logic whereas Hellenistic thought
looked for ahistoric logic. Kevin is looking
for a Hellenistic interpretation of Exodus,
but ancient Hebrews would have been looking
at the action implied by the words used
without trying to answer what the exact form
took. Even the claim that this description
is "metaphorical" gives a nod to Hellenistic
thought.

The theologians tell us that in the life
that is to come that we will *see* God, but
nowhere describes what we should expect to
see. It is said that God has a face, but so
do buildings, animals, armies, so that is
hardly a descriptive term. God brought
Israel out of Egypt with an upraised arm and
outstretched hand, but no one on either side
saw either. All they saw were the actions
that these idioms point to.

In short, Kevin is a Hellenist and demands
that we interpret Tanakh according to
Hellenistic principles. That is the wrong
way to do it.

Karl W. Randolph.