b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 33 & 34 - Glory & Face

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 33 & 34 - Glory & Face
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:13:38 -0500

Dear Jack,

I agree, I did not say that Yahweh s glory was His face, I
merely said that Yahweh did not allow Moses to see either
His face or His glory. Based on the final passage of Ex 33
Moses was able to see Yahweh and His goodness from behind,
but not His glory. However, I could see one might make the
equation based solely on Ex 33, seeing as neither is
visible from behind. As you point out, His glory does show
up else in the OT (e.g. Num 20:6) where several times
without His face being seen.

HH: I can see where you get that idea from verses 22-23, but if you add in the earlier verses, it becomes apparent what verses 22-23 mean:

Ex. 33:20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."
Ex. 33:21 ΒΆ Then the LORD said, "There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock.
Ex. 33:22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by.
Ex. 33:23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen."

HH: The whole effort by the Lord to shield Moses is evidently to protect him from seeing God's face and dying. So he will see the glory, but not the face, of God.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard