b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Divine body parts, was: Doctorates (PhD or ThD?)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: peterkirk AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Divine body parts, was: Doctorates (PhD or ThD?)
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 09:19:19 -0400

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:42:55 +0100 Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
writes:

> I was also referring to the mainstream in ancient Judaism, or
> perhaps
> more accurately mainstream Israelite religion, as represented by the
>
> biblical authors. I would be interested to see examples of biblical
>
> authors attributing body parts to God which cannot be understood as
>
> metaphor. This might end up as a more illuminating discussion than
> the
> one about qualifications.
> --
> Peter Kirk
> peter AT qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/
__________

I choose to respond to this post rather than to your retort to Kevin's
reply since you here clearly state your requirements for considering the
opposing view as proven.

I think we are all aware that there is absolutely no description of the
divine being which cannot be understood metaphorically if one chooses to
do so. Therefore, it seems to me that you have ended the discussion by
precluding any contrary evidence. Whatever may be stated will simply be
attributed to metaphorical usage. I suggest therefore that we drop the
matter.

george
gfsomsel