b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Divine body parts, was: Doctorates (PhD or ThD?)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Divine body parts, was: Doctorates (PhD or ThD?)
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 16:25:29 +0100

On 06/09/2005 14:19, George F Somsel wrote:

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:42:55 +0100 Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
writes:

I was also referring to the mainstream in ancient Judaism, or perhaps more accurately mainstream Israelite religion, as represented by the
biblical authors. I would be interested to see examples of biblical
authors attributing body parts to God which cannot be understood as
metaphor. This might end up as a more illuminating discussion than the one about qualifications.
--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)

__________

I choose to respond to this post rather than to your retort to Kevin's
reply since you here clearly state your requirements for considering the
opposing view as proven.
I think we are all aware that there is absolutely no description of the
divine being which cannot be understood metaphorically if one chooses to
do so. Therefore, it seems to me that you have ended the discussion by
precluding any contrary evidence. Whatever may be stated will simply be
attributed to metaphorical usage. I suggest therefore that we drop the
matter.

Yes, George, you are correct. All language can be metaphorical, and it is hard if not impossible to prove that a particular instance is not. I am not sure that Kevin could in principle prove his assertion. That makes his argument baseless speculation. On the other hand, it may be that he can find ways to back up his assertion, so I want to give him the opportunity to do that. But he certainly needs to give better arguments than "the Ancient mind did not think so abstractly... they were incapable of it".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)