b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] gutturals and composite shewa

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] gutturals and composite shewa
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 08:40:22 -0400

Yigal Levin writes:

Good question. Why is the yod in most accurances of YHWH, when supposedly
meant to be vocalized "Adonai", spelled with a shewa and not a
hataph-patah,
like the aleph in Adonai? Don't know. I don't think that it has to do
with
the Aramaic Shema - that is a Samaritan tradition, which I doubt would
have
influenced the masoretes.

Besides, in most prints (but not in BHS), the he in YHWH has a holam,
like the dalet in Adonai (this is the source of the pronunciation
"Jehovah").

There are a small number of KJVO Christians,
who believe that the vowel points of Y:HOWFH,
are the actual vowel points of God's name.

They defend the name "Jehovah"
because they note correctly,
that Y:HOWFH does not have the precise vowel points of "Adonay".

They specifically point out that while the yod in Y:EHOWIH does have a
composite shewa
[e.g. a hatefh-segol] under it,
the yod in Y:HOWFH has a simple shewa under it.

Thus they insist that since the Masoretes did not place the hatef-patah
from Adonay
under the yod in Y:HOWFH,
that Y:HOWFH [translated as Jehovah] is actually God's name.

Dave Donnelly