b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] gutturals and composite shewa

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] gutturals and composite shewa
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 07:27:35 -0500

Dear Yigal,

Good question. Why is the yod in most accurances of YHWH, when supposedly
meant to be vocalized "Adonai", spelled with a shewa and not a hataph-patah,
like the aleph in Adonai? Don't know. I don't think that it has to do with
the Aramaic Shema - that is a Samaritan tradition, which I doubt would have
influenced the masoretes. Besides, in most prints (but not in BHS), the he
in YHWH has a holam, like the dalet in Adonai (this is the source of the
pronunciation "Jehovah").

HH: Thanks, as I was wondering about the missing holam in the BHS text I was looking at.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard