b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Cognate languages - limitations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "George F Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Cognate languages - limitations
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:09:22 +0100

________________________________

George wrote:
What you have cited as "well documented" is fairly obviously isolated
anecdotal information to which I could, if I were so inclined, respond
with equally isolated anecdotal information indicating precisely the
opposite. I am unconvinced that there is any position maintained by a
major university such as St. Andrews which requires one to compromise his
principles. Unless James Read can supply something other than nebulous
claims that this has occurred in his case, I must believe that his claims
are pure "baloney" being used as an excuse for either his unwillingness
to study the required material or his inability to master that material.
We could undoubtedly continue this discussion with claims and
counterclaims for 20 or more iterations, but I am not Peter Kirk and have
no intention to carry any discussion which seems bound to be fruitless to
such an extreme.

JCR: I don't know how I ended up on your judgement seat but allow me to
defend myself. At St. Andrews all
queries of my nature were to be taken up with a certain gentleman whose name
escapes me at the moment. I had
to make an appointment to see him and waited outside in the corridor when it
was my time.

After waiting for a while a girl came out crying and I was invited in. He
asked me if she was still crying and when
I answered 'Yes' he snapped 'Silly girl!'. The man was already in a bit of a
temper with whatever had happened with
the other student but nevertheless I tried to explain my case. I tried to
explain that my intention was only to study
the languages and that was why I had opted for classical Greek rather than NT
Greek. I explained that even though
the Hebrew half of my degree had been presented as a linguistic MA I was
expected to get involved in theological
modules which had a better place in a Divinity degree. He immediately snapped
at me and said that no such exceptions
could be made. I offered to do the higher level linguistic modules in their
place but he was unwilling to listen to me.

At this point I started to notice that the man was very irritable and I asked
him if he liked his job. He snapped that he
was sick of divinity students and expressed his desire that he should not
have to deal with these issues. He viewed
all divinity students as religious fanatics and in his opinion universities
should have no place for Divinity faculties.
I tried to get on his good side by explaining that my reason for wanting to
be excluded from these modules was that
like him I wished to avoid futile theological debates and discussions so that
my time could be wiser spent studying
the original languages objectively. He was in no way swayed and got me out of
his office as fast as possible. The
divinity school's position was that this man was the final word for all
modular queries in the whole university and
that there was nothing they could do about it.

As a final note, George, I should be careful about throwing accusations of
lying around. Some people might find them
offensive on a personal level. And I am sure that Peter hasn't appreciated
your comments either. At least Peter is
capable of formulating a good argument based on proofs rather than resorting
to name calling.

Security System.