b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates (PhD or ThD?)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates (PhD or ThD?)
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:27:14 EDT

In a message dated 9/5/2005 8:38:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
jwest AT highland.net writes:

> Kevin Graham wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, red flags always pop up for me whenever a ThD starts preaching,
> > using his or her "academic" credentials as proof he or she is right and
> I'm
> > wrong. Too much of the Bible "theology"is based on interpretation outside
> > the rules of Hebrew and Greek, which is why the comparison to the MD in a
> > life saving situation is absurd.
> >
> > My two cents.
> >
> > Kevin

Kevin, I think you error with your statement "Too much of the Bible
"theology"is based on interpretation." Rule are simple: 1) only one
interpretation 2)
many applications, and 3) all scriptures point to the Messiah. Sometimes
folks confuse interpretation with application which appears to be what you're
doing. There can only be one correct interpretation: my interpretation and
your
interpretation could both be incorrect. But we couldn't have two different
interpretation and both be correct.

I've been following this posting and I was reminded of Vivian Thomas. He was
granted an honorary MD by Johns Hopkin University. Thomas was a self
educated, poor black man who worked as a janitor at the hospital while he
studied a
cure for "blue babies." I think they still use his procedure today.

Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.
Tejas Valley
San Antonio, Texas