b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates (PhD or ThD?)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com
  • To: peterkirk AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates (PhD or ThD?)
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:03:39 EDT

In a message dated 9/5/2005 12:45:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
peterkirk AT qaya.org writes:

> Now I accept (as an MA in theology myself!) that there is some impact of
> theology on interpretation of biblical passages. For example, if the
> interpretation of a passage is uncertain between two possibilities, one
> of which is in accord with the general theology of the writer and/or
> those around him and the other which is not, it is reasonable to
> conclude that the former interpretation is probably correct. The problem
> comes when interpreters try to use their own personal theological
> convictions as a guide to interpretation.
>
> --
> Peter Kirk
> peter AT qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/

Good Afternoon Capt. Kirk,

I myself find it very hard to leave out my own personal theological
convictions. That's why I follow these simple, basic rules when studying
Scripture: 1)
only one interpretation, 2) many applications, 3) all Scripture points to the
Messiah, and 4) my interpretation and anyone elses must have total Scripture
support by comparing Scripture to Scripture, spiritual things to spiritual
things. If I find my interpretation or anyone elses is not in harmony with
total
Scriptures it is shelved. The Bible is the best and most valid commentary
on the Bible when studied properly. Most don't care for Strong's Lexicon and
fell the same way about commentaries. I owned six commentaries and in them
were six different interpretations. The Bible has the same (one)
interpretation throughout with a long, thin line of God's redemption running
through it.
Ockham's Razor (all things being equal the simplist interpretation is
correct)
doesn't work either when searching for truth, it may help but still it misses
the mark by not always arriving on correct interpretation.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Peter.

Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.
Tejas Valley
San Antonio, Texas