b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates (PhD or ThD?)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Graham" <kevlds AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates (PhD or ThD?)
  • Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 14:33:06 +0000

Jim West, ThD

ThD?

Well, that explains alot.

I'm just saying that a ThD should not put so much emphasis in their credentials as a biblical exegete when their ThD only demonstrates that they have expertise in their own theology. It says virtually nothing about their ability to exegete the Bible, other than the fact that they could never be expected to do so objectively. I know it must come as a shock to think your life's work in the Theology dept. doesn't necessarily mean you're better than the next guy at interpreting the Bible, but hey, don't take it out on me.

A distinction should always be made between a PhD and a ThD, just as a Juris Doctorate and an MD are distinguished. The infamous Walter Martin bought his "doctorate" from a diploma mill. Obtaining dubious diplomas and flaunting them to prove you're right and teh next guy is wrong, seems to be a phenomenon among many Evangelicals, especially within the counter-cult industry.