b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Basic observations on WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Basic observations on WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:48:29 +0100

Dear Peter,

I do not want to participate in any discussion with you, not because I have any
nagative feelings against you personally, or because I doubt your
intellectual
capacity or your knowledge, but simply because we live in two completely
different worlds as far as linguistics and linguistic theory are concerned.

I will illustrate the situation with the following German example (I do
not know a similar English example). Someone says, "Heute ist
strahlendes Wetter." How would people interpret this clause? It is an
unambiguous
statement indicating that the weather is excellent, probably with the sun
shining from a blue sky. One
person could say, "I think it means that it is raining." Why? "Because the
one who uttered the statement could view each raindrop as a "Wasserstrahl"
(a squirt or jet of water).
This interpretation is not completely impossible, but it is extremely forced
and unnatural.

When I discuss matters with someone, I accept criticisms and
counterarguments, and even encourage such, but I expect a minimum level of
agreement regarding the
basics of linguistics and linguistic imterpretation. In many cases I have
not found that with you, but you have often used arguments of the
"Wasserstrahl" type, and therefore I see absolutely no purpose of participating
in any discussion with you. But I am very surprised that you do not
realize that you are not able to present my viewpoints correctly to this
forum as long as you have not read my dissertation. That is the reason why I
feel
compelled to write this post, because I see the need to correct some of your
misrepresentations.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>