b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Basic observations on WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Basic observations on WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:44:44 -0600

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 10:42, Peter Kirk wrote:
> On 17/08/2005 16:44, Dave Washburn wrote:
> >
> >As we know, Hebrew allowed a whole range of verbless clauses that would be
> >utterly foreign to English. In addition, the behavior of HINNEH could
> > fill several books by itself. So I'm not sure this is a real example of
> > an "abbreviated form" within the context of the ancient Hebrew dialect.
> > Compare the oft-seen response when someone is called to, HINNENI.
> > Considering the extensive use of verbless clauses and the generally
> > verbless behavior of HINNEH, I doubt that this clause is ungrammatical,
> > even in isolation.
>
> I accept that Hebrew sentences can be verbless without being
> ungrammatical. But what looks ungrammatical here is the absence or
> elision of the personal suffix HINNEH. But re Gen 18:9 BDB mentions "the
> suffix ... being not infrequently omitted". So perhaps this is not the
> best example - it was simply the first possible one that I found.

Ugh. My BDB - along with all my other books - is packed. What suffix do you
mean?

> But now you must get the point of what I am referring to. It is
> certainly common in conversation in English and many other languages to
> abbreviate sentences to the extent of them being ungrammatical if taken
> in isolation. Is such abbreviation attested in biblical Hebrew? I would
> be surprised if it is not, although it might be hard to prove this of
> any one example because we don't have native speakers to ask about
> grammaticality. So I won't spend time searching for any one example
> which might be torn apart!

It's a fascinating question, and I have no idea about the answer. I suppose
the first step would be to get a full grasp of verbless clauses, but how to
do that if we suspect that some of them may be ungrammatical? So we end up
in a circle. Still, exploring this question might make an interesting
dissertation topic for somebody a fair bit younger than I am...

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur