b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Basic observations on WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Basic observations on WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:18:28 +0100

Thanx for that Rolf. It seems that the root of the major misunderstanding
between Rolf
and Peter is a lack of commonly defined terminology. I think you have clearly
defined
your use of the term 'semantic meaning with this post.

One thing I did not understand though is your view of the 998 wayiqtols that
do not
express past action. Are you saying these are exceptions to the norm? Are you
saying
they do or do not have an uncancellable semantic meaning?

What is your view on the sequentiality of wayyiqtols? Is sequentiality the
uncancellable
semantic meaning of wayyiqtols or is this a pragamtic feature which is best
left to context?