b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Semantics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Semantics
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 22:44:45 +0100

On 08/08/2005 20:28, Karl Randolph wrote:

James:

While I can't speak for all lexicographers, I can describe my method.

First, because Hebrew has remained in use, often as a religious language that all youth were supposed to study, many definitions have come down to us from continued use. And as the language remained connected to a written source that hasn't changed in over 2000 years, that restricted though did not prevent change that later users of the language could introduce.

Second, we have the writings of early lexicographers who gave the traditional meanings as they were handed down to them. These traditional lexica also made a practice of listing all words according to their roots.

Third, we have the "scholarly" lexica where comparison with cognate languages is added. It is my understanding that Gesenius was the founder of this method. BDB and most modern lexica practice such comparisons.

Fourth, there is the lexica based on semantic domains. That is looking at each use and determining what the meaning is for that use. (Renier, correct me if I got this wrong)

One important source not mentioned here, one of the most important and much more important than comparison with cognate languages, is the witness of ancient translations, e.g. LXX (not LLX, James) and Vulgate, also ancient citations and explanations e.g. in the New Testament, the Mishnah etc.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)