b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Semantics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Semantics
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:29:57 +0100

Hi b-he-brewers,

I have recently been asked by a beginning hebrew student how b-hebrew words
have been
assigned their semantic meanings in lexicons.
Beyond parallels in sister languages and inferences we gain from LLX
translations I
was not prepared to offer a complete answer.
Do the list members know what mechanisms were used to build our lexicons and
determine
the meanings of words?

Further, the student was particularly interested in tracking down the studies
of each
individual word. At this point I really didn't know what to say as it is
something that
I have done myself.
Does anyone know where records of semantic studies can be found for
individual words?

JamesChristian

Security System.