b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Semantics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Semantics
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:28:47 -0500

James:

While I can't speak for all lexicographers, I can describe
my method.

First, because Hebrew has remained in use, often as a
religious language that all youth were supposed to study,
many definitions have come down to us from continued use.
And as the language remained connected to a written source
that hasn't changed in over 2000 years, that restricted
though did not prevent change that later users of the
language could introduce.

Second, we have the writings of early lexicographers who
gave the traditional meanings as they were handed down to
them. These traditional lexica also made a practice of
listing all words according to their roots.

Third, we have the "scholarly" lexica where comparison
with cognate languages is added. It is my understanding
that Gesenius was the founder of this method. BDB and
most modern lexica practice such comparisons.

Fourth, there is the lexica based on semantic domains.
That is looking at each use and determining what the
meaning is for that use. (Renier, correct me if I got
this wrong)

As for me, I never intended to become a lexicographer, nor
to write a dictionary from Biblical Hebrew to English. In
fact, it was only by a class schedule mix-up in college
that I even took a class in Biblical Hebrew, which I
enjoyed. By the time I took Hebrew, I spoke two foreign
languages and had studied two more. So to learn the
vocabulary, I applied a method I had learned to study other
languages, namely to look for the root meaning of each
word, what is its breadth of meaning without reference to
English translation. It is that way that I figured that I
could learn vocabulary in the same manner as a native
speaker would use it.

A second aspect of my method is to look at function, what
is the functionality meant by the words. Functionally, most
common words have the same meaning even when the specific
form referred to may be quite different. E.g. the "house"
built by a Yanomamö Indian in South America looks very
different from that built in suburban U.S. which differs
from a log cabin which differs from ... yet functionally,
they all refer to the same use. By looking at functionality,
I found that most common words have the same meanings across
all languages, which make learning them much easier.

A third aspect is to look at synonyms, as it is very rare
that two words would have exactly the same meaning. I look
at different synonyms, comparing their usages, looking for
the nuances that distinguish the use of one word verses
another. Even here it is rare not to find an English word
that has a functional meaning very close to that of a
Hebrew term I was looking at.

Fouth, I accepted the concept from traditional lexica that
words be listed under their roots, as, at least for the
time span reflected in Biblical Hebrew, I accepted their
supposition that derivitives from the same root had not yet
strayed far from the original, core meaning of the root.
Particularly when uses of words from the same root were not
widely used, I make use of this supposition to help find the
common, root meaning for words.

The reason I learned Hebrew was to read Tanakh, not to be a
scholar. Part of reading it is to recognize the nuances of
meaning. So, as I read Tanakh, I keep looking up in the
lexica to remind myself what exactly I am reading (I have
a poor memory, I keep having to look up words I looked up
dozens of times before). When I was just a beginner, the
first few times I read Tanakh, I accepted the definitions
(while looking for a unified, single meaning) found in the
lexica by Gesenius and BDB. But I eventually started adding
notes first reflecting what appeared to be core meanings to
help me remember definitions, later to reflect the uses as
I found them in the text, finally added comparing synonyms
as I recognized them at the same time as I got more
systematic where I use the concordance to look up each use,
then look for a unified meaning that fits all uses, whether
a broad meaning or narrow.

I pretty much restrict the use of cognate languages as an
aid to lexicography to words that are used too seldomly to
be clear on their meaning from an analysis of contexts of
their uses in Biblical Hebrew. I do not even know Mishnaic
Hebrew, and only enough Aramaic to read those portions of
Ezra and Daniel.

This is my basic methodology as a lexicographer. I hope
this helps.

Karl W. Randolph.