b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS. Was " masorete pointing v's LLX"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS. Was " masorete pointing v's LLX"
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:34:03 +1200 (NZST)

Peter wrote:-

>If Rolf wants to overturn an understanding of Hebrew grammar which has
>become well entrenched for many centuries, he needs to do better than to
>come up with an alternative internally consistent model. He needs to
>prove somehow that the traditional model is wrong. And this is what he
>has entirely failed to do, because his method is in principle incapable
>of doing so.

While, not wishing to defend a thesis I've never read, this surely is
a vast overstatement. As Rolf has told us, his defense of the thesis
has only recently taken place. Presumably his thesis will now
become available and those who wish to read and study it can do so. The
appropriate time to decide whether it's right or wrong is surely
after you've read the work in its entirety and not from short
summaries posted on this list.

Bill Rea, IT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'

  • Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS. Was " masorete pointing v's LLX", Bill Rea, 07/26/2005