b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bearpecs AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:53:39 EDT

In a message dated 7/26/2005 7:16:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jwest AT highland.net writes:

I think it terribly misleading to suggest that ancient Hebrews or
Canaanites walking around the land would have thought they were talking
about the same gods when they called them by their different names. In
fact, it is eisegesis at its worst.

I think it is unwarranted to suggest that they didn't know that Ba`al of
Tsafon was the same god as Ba`al of Pe`or; just as Catholics know that their
Lady of Lourdes is the same as their Lady of Guadalupe. We are arrogant if
we
assume that they just couldn't be as sophisticated as we in conceptualizing
the divine.