b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:45:19 -0500

Dear Karl,

I saw pictures of this stone first in books, and on the
following URL:

http://www.viewzone.com/FTscandanavia.html (top picture
only)

Had I not seen pictures of this stone previously in books,
I would not have given it a second thought as by the time
I reached this page, I had come to the conclusion that for
the most part, the writer didn't know what he was talking
about. In other words, I think the site as a whole is
weird, and I don't recommend it. This is the only picture
of this stone that I know of on line. If someone knows of
another picture of this stone on line, on a more kosher
site, please let us know.

I suspect that this is a later example of proto-Sanaitic,
as the letters seem somewhat more stylized than earlier
examples: the ayin a simple circle, lamed a straight line,
hey like a Vee instead of a jumping man, waw upside down
from what is later, mem an outlined "C", resh just an arc,
beit an arc with hooks at top and bottom, and the whole
alphabet is not shown.

I know not everyone will agree with me, but I read the
text as L( QBR Z LHSR H(DW DMYT LMRT .

HH: Thanks for the link, but how do you know this petroglyph is proto-Sinaitic? I can't seem to find any explanatory text about it on the website.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard