b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] RE-Dating Daniel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] RE-Dating Daniel
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:54:57 -0500

To all:

I am surprised at the response that a peripheral statement caused, one that I
did not dwell on precisely because 1) it is not central to the discussions on
this list and 2) there is too little data to make a definitive statement, as
also pointed out by Rolf Furuli.

I know which view I personally choose, but I recognize that it is rooted in a
particular philosophy/religion, therefore it should not be pushed as
normative on everybody on this list. Equally philosophic/religious are views
other than mine. As I wrote Yigal, I have no problem with agreeing to
disagree. Thus when I mention traditional dating in my messages, I do so
somewhat tongue in cheek, intended gently to remind people that there are
other views but not to push it.

Similarly, there are different definitions of inspiration. One is the
inspiration of the poet, musician or writer, that which inspires them to
create. There is the technical, theological definition based on a philosophy
that recognizes universal absolutes that are true for all people whether they
believe or agree with them or not, where God worked through people to have
them write documents that are true in all aspects in the original autographs
(of which today we have only copies of copies of copies with their copyist
induced errors), accurate in all details including history, science (watch
out for figures of speech) and theology. A third definition that I know of
also found in neo-orthodox theology, denies that there are universal
absolutes and truths, that all truths are equally true and valid. A book can
be true even when factually false in that it can explore and explain other
truths. Thus the Bible can be inspired by god and true even though full of
factual error and pious fiction. Thus inspiration is not a discussion of
absolute truth as in the second definition above, rather it is a discussion
on how god can use the teachings in the Bible to illuminate truths in our
lives today. There may be other definitions for inspiration, but those are
the three I thought of off the top of my head.

I personally choose the second definition, as do others on this list, but
because it is peripheral for this list and it is philosophically/religiously
based, no one should push his view as normative for everyone on this list.
Because there are differing understandings for inspiration, neither should
anyone denigrate another definition as wrong (though one may think so
privately, as I do).

The reason the purpose for this list is so narrowly focused on the language
only, was to avoid theological flame wars for which there is no resolution
possible. As a result, I have tried to limit my theological/philosophical
statements to the context on how they may influence our understanding of the
Hebrew language and no more.

Karl W. Randolph.