b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew and English word order

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <threetreepoint AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew and English word order
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:48:50 -0700

On 7/6/05 10:34 PM, "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <threetreepoint AT earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Two questions come to mind. Alter's stated purpose includes "... stylistic
> and
> rhythmic integrity as literary English". I don't think "With God Noah
> walked"
> meets this criteria. L. de Reqt is suggesting that "With God Noah walked"
> reflects the information structure of the Hebrew Text placing the focus
> element up front. But I don't think this is how English would handle this.
> In
> English the focus element is often marked by vocal emphasis and it can be
> clause final.

I have already thought of the first objection that will be raised. What de
Reqt wants to see is *contrastive* focus information structure in the
English translation. I don't see (it's late!) how "With God Noah walked"
accomplishes this. I think to bring out the contrastive focus a paraphrase
would probably be required.

Clay Bartholomew