b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:57:56 -0500

Luke:

I hate to throw water on you, but .....

The form YXD &#1497;&#1495;&#1491; could come from the following roots: XDD
&#1495;&#1491;&#1491;, XDH &#1495;&#1491;&#1492;, XWD &#1495;&#1493;&#1491;,
YXD &#1497;&#1495;&#1491;, it is the context that helps us decide which one.
All of these roots are expressed as verbs in Tanakh.

YXD as a verb occures only twice (there is a third time listed in the
concordance, but that is questionable) Genesis 49:6 and Isaiah 14:20. Both
cases have grammatical constructs connected with the verb: in Genesis it
mentions the locative sense (in their assembly) and in Isaiah the word
“with”. Such a grammatical construct is lacking in both uses in Proverbs 27.
While that is not proof against your friend’s understanding, it does weaken
it.

The second word in the Proverb, BBRZL can either be a locative use, or
instrumental. Seeing as iron, unlike an assembly, is a solid, the locative
use is pretty much ruled out, leaving the instrumental. If the verb has the
meaning of to join, where is the instrumental in the parallelism of the
second half of the proverb? An implied instrumental use is there if the
meaning of sharpen is used. Again that weakens your friend’s understanding.

The other two verbs don’t make any sense when used in this context.

While I am being cautious not to claim that your friend’s understanding is
ruled out, I find it weaker than when the verb to sharpen is used.

Karl W. Randolph.