b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Unicode

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Unicode
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 11:35:46 +0100

On 18/05/2005 02:09, Heard, Christopher wrote:

Christopher,

I'm using a Macintosh, with OS X.4 (Tiger) and Safari browser. I can view all sorts of Israeli sites in Unicode Hebrew with no problem, but your Unicode/XML Tanach gives me gibberish.

The difference may be that almost all of the "all sorts of Israeli sites in Unicode Hebrew" are unpointed or almost unpointed Hebrew, which is displayed OK with almost all modern browsers, but Chris K's site offers a fully pointed and cantillated text. Displaying the latter is a much harder problem, and I don't know if anyone has yet solved it properly for the Mac. (I await confirmation from Karl that there are any fully pointed and cantillated sites which appear correctly on his Mac.) SBL Hebrew and Ezra SIL have more or less solved the problem for Windows only.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)